Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Retarded Twins

You'll kow that I recently purchased 2 backup drives from LaCie. I chose these particular drives as they are able to be attached to an ethernet network and had their own OS already built in. This seemed like the ideal solution given that we have 2 laptops and didn't want to be tied down to having external drives attached via USB etc.

Well, I've been using these for a while now and have found that running them over an 802.11/g wireless network is simply impossible with the file sizes I am working with. It can take up to 10 minutes to list the directory of my photographs, about 3000 x 12MB files.
I've converted one of them to a local USB drive as a test to see if it's network slowness of a function of the drive. It's Network slowness for sure. Attached locally over USB2 it's a fast disk so I'm going to have to settle for having both of them attached locally. NOT what I wanted. BUGGER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home