Sunday, December 17, 2006

A good weekend!

Following some trying times at work with my line manager and her line manager be put "At Risk" of redundancy and on "Garden Leave" I was happy to look forward to a little family gathering with Margaret, David, Gillian and David on Saturday.
They were due to come to Henley for Lunch so Wendy and I had checked out the local pubs for availability and suitability for the right sort of food. Nothing too fancy and not too expensive as none of us have much money to spare these days.

They arrived at about 1pm while Wendy was out posting a letter. after a quick chat and a cup of tea we decided to walk down town to the Three Tuns pub. It's a small place with a "Restaurant" area at the back but we decided we'd sit at the very front of the bar area so we could see what was going on in the streets. We started of, as usual when we all get together, with a drink Pints of lager for us men and wine for the girls.

We got ourselves settled in the window area and asked for some menus. Various choices were eventually made although Gill and I had to order our main course before anything else as we had decided on Pasta and the chef had to get that cooking or it wouldn't be ready with the other main courses.
Mushroom soup, Mushroom Brusectta, avocado salad for starters and Sausage-n-Mash, Char-grilled veg-n-Pasta and Steak-n chips for main course. We of course had more beer and wine with the meal and finished off with a few puddings. I had Lemon Tart with Crème Fréche. We managed also to entertain ourselves between drinks and food with a little box ow trivia questions to be found on each table in the pub. Available from "Talking Tables" web site which I've not yet checked out.

On the walk back home we decided to stop at the Bird in Hand pub for a quick one where Jarvis had a nice time playing with the pub dog. Wendy had been out to get Jarvis while Gill and Margaret were looking around the shops and Dave, Dave and me were in the pub have more drinks.

When we got back we decided that more drinks were needed and some more food. I got the drinks, Wendy made sandwiches David W was ill in the toilet and David S fell asleep and entertained us with his snoring. I have pictures and a short video which I may post later.

Sunday has been a lazy day. We woke at our usual 6:30 am and had tea and just lazed about for a few hours then we got up and went for a walk down by the river. The weather was so nice. Not too cold although there had been a very heavy frost in the night. It was bright and sunny and the river was so full the lock flood gates were running wild. Here is a picture of the flowing water.

Flowing Water of Marsh Lock

All in all a good weekend...



Post a Comment

<< Home